Varsity 2015 Match Report: Tense and Tough Overtime Gives Tarannau A Win For Aber

Photo - Alex Stuart

Photo – Alex Stuart

IN ONE OF the longest and most exciting games of the day, Aber’s American Football team, Tarannau, gave Aber a well-deserved point for Varsity.

Bangor Mud Dogs kicked off the match at half 12, and straight away Aber showed a strong defensive resistance against Bangor, giving no ground for Bangor to claim. Aber’s offence made a good start with a magnificent throw from quarterback, Colin Powers, and catch from Alex Roan, but struggled to get a touchdown. The boys kept pushing, and it wasn’t until the second quarter when the rolling thunder of Tarannau struck back with a fantastic 19-yard touchdown from Powers to Roan. Followed closely by a 2 point conversion that made it 8-0 to Aber at the end of the first half.

At the start of the second half, Bangor bounced back with a quick touch down and conversion. Bangor followed this up with a field goal in the fourth down, making it 8-11 to Bangor. But, due to a penalty against Bangor, the score was brought back down to 8-8 and still all to play for. Bangor then gained another touchdown, but Tarannau blocked a field goal making it 14-8 to Bangor. The Cheerleaders were now back by Aber’s side after winning their competition and cheered on for our boys. Could Aber bring it back? Of course, thanks to the touchdown of the day by Adam Brelsford. His 85-yard touchdown brought Aber back in the game. Unfortunately, Aber couldn’t get the conversion, leaving it 14 all into the final quarter. Despite the huge efforts of both sides and Aber coming just 11 yards from the touchdown line and a disallowed field goal from Luke Gorton, no one was able to score, leaving the game to go into overtime.

The referees decided that the teams would start on the opposing 25 and both would have a chance to score. If both teams get the same score in their offensive, they would go again until one did not score. Aber began with possession. In the first two downs they couldn’t score any points. Then in the third down, Colin Powers sneaked by, passing upfront to Curtis Williston and scoring the winning touchdown! Then followed by a 2 point conversion gave Aber the 22-14 win that they fully deserved.

Head Coach of Tarannau, Phil Dayus-Johnson, said ‘they struggled, obviously, and being tied up for most of it is a testament to how hard [Bangor] were pushing us, but we pushed back when it counted to make the final score and give us the win’. ‘They responded brilliantly [to the overtime scenario] and marched down the field and put the points on the board.’