Assured Aber reach the Welsh Prem summit

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN have reached the summit of the Welsh Premier League after an assured 3-0 victory over Afan Lido, and with champions The New Saints visiting on Friday have every reason to be confident ahead of the fixture.

Peter Hoy wheels away after netting Aber's opener. Photo by Chris Howells -

Peter Hoy wheels away after netting Aber’s opener. Photo by Chris Howells –

The Aber side was unchanged from the team that beat Rhyl on the opening day of the season, giving full home debuts to Peter Hoy in defence, the returning Krzysztof Nalborski and the first competitive home game at the helm for manager Ian Hughes.

The Seasiders almost took the lead in the opening minutes as a Lido defender headed back towards his own goalkeeper from an Aber corner, which looked (fleetingly) as though it might have had too much power for Rory McCreesh in the visiting goal.

All afternoon the dead-ball delivery of Aber caused problems for the away side, with Antonio Corbisiero and Craig Williams combining to wreak havoc, and on the 20th minute they took the lead after a free kick; Corbisiero whipped the ball to the far post, Chris Venables headed the ball back across goal and Peter Hoy steamed in at the far post to slam the ball into the goal.

Afan Lido rarely threatened all afternoon, with a few spartan counter attacks with evergreen Luke Borelli combining with Rameer Outlaw and Keyon Reffel on occasion but seldom truly testing Mike Lewis.

The case could not have been any different at the other end, with chance after chance raining on the Afan Lido goal, as a well worked counter attack from the home side saw Venables with the goal opening up infront of him, but he could only drag his shot wide.

Aber nearly doubled their lead when McCreesh appeared to carry the ball over his own line when under duress from an on-rushing Peter Hoy, with the referee awarding a free kick to the anger of the home fans who thought the visiting stopper made the most of Hoy’s challenge.

They need not have worried as they went 2-0 up just before half time. Once again, it was from a dead ball that the home side threatened, and a Corbisiero corner that just drifted towards Jones at the far post. His header was stopped on the line but Venables was on hand to slam the ball home from just inside the six yard box.

The second half was one of consolidation, but on his return to Park Avenue, Nalborski on the right wing of a 4-5-1, did very well despite coming out worse-for-wear from a few physical tussles with a physical Lido side, and got his goal on 72 minutes.

The University student out muscled a Lido defender and ran through on goal, hitting a powerful shot below McCreesh into his near post in front of the Dias stand.

Seconds later, another returning player Geoff Kellaway found himself unmarked in the area but could only hit his shot straight at the Lido goalkeeper.

The visit of T.N.S. to Park Avenue on Friday night (K.O 7.30PM) will provide a test for Aber and a chance for them to test their mettle against a full-time side. If they can come out of the fixture favourably, it could bode well for a very good season for the Seasiders.