Varsity: Women’s Lacrosse Aber 7 – 6 Bangor

A closely fought encounter in the Women’s Lacrosse went all the way to extra-time, with an inspired performance from Lucy Spears clinching the victory for Aberystwyth 7-6.

Vice-Captain Spears netted four times for her team, it was also she who opened the scoring with her first goal coming within the first minute of the match. Spears made a darting run from midfield, cradling the ball past two Bangor defenders before calmly placing the ball past the goalkeeper.

This excellent start was short-lived as Bangor replied minutes later through no. 12, their right-winger, who found the back of the net after a goal-mouth scramble. The game was a tight affair and Aberystwyth goalkeeper Marrikka Beacroft stopped Bangor gaining the lead with some excellent saves. With just seconds of the first quarter remaining, Aber hit Bangor on the counter-attack. Captain Olivia Pearson sent Beth Munns free on goal and she finished well to send Aber into the break with a 2-1 lead.

The second quarter began with Aber instantly on the attack, Pearson was leading by example and she ran most of the fine attacking play. Moving behind the Bangor goal, she collected the ball and crossed into the box for Bangor’s no. 10 to inadvertently score an own goal. Aber’s dominance continued as Spears scored with a superb solo effort after 20 minutes, forcing Bangor into a substitution. Their no. 10 was replaced by their no. 94, who made an instant impact. The no. 94 for Bangor scored the goal of the match, cradling the ball from deep inside her own half, beating four players and finishing well to bring Bangor back into the game at the end of the second quarter.

The game really exploded into life in the third quarter and it was Bangor that began the better side. Their no. 1, the second home, scored a quick fire brace to bring the score level at 4-4. The momentum was in Bangor’s corner and if not for some fine saves from Beacroft, Aber could have been out of the game. This proved vital as Aber regained their two goal advantage with goals from Sophie Cath and Spears notching up her hat-trick. A late goal in the quarter from Bangor forward no. 42 kept them in the contest.

The fourth quarter was a tense affair as Bangor pushed for the equaliser with Aber putting up some stern resistance. Unfortunately for Aber their defence was broken in the 50th minute from Bangor’s excellent no. 42. She caused Aber problems all day and deservedly scored the goal that sent the game into extra-time.

With the game wide open and players tiring, it was the sensational Spears who settled the encounter with the silver goal. After a great run from Aber’s Cath just three minutes into extra-time, the ball found its way to Spears and with only one thing on her mind, she beat two defenders and fired home the winning goal past a helpless Bangor keeper.