University football side get first win of BUCS campaign

Tom Sparks was amongst the goals yet again

ABERYSTWYTH University Mens football first team chalked up their first win of the BUCS Football Western 4B division campaign with a 3-1 victory over a poor Swansea University 3rd side.

The result was never in doubt, although Swansea did peg Aberystwyth back to 1-1 in the second half, Aber hit two late goals to seal a deserved victory.

Aberystwyth, playing at Vicarage Fields, saw two early headers come close to taking them into the lead and they won a free-kick, in a promising position just outside the area when Celt Iwan was fouled. Graham Dyment stepped up and curled his free-kick over the bar. Swansea did have a few moments of pressure in the first half, and a header flashing across goal from their thick-set number 13 was the closest they came to taking a first half lead.

The home side then nearly took a freak lead just before half time. A shot by Farmer was taken by the wind towards Iwan on the right wing, who hit a controlled cross back into the area, and again the wind offered a helping hand as it clipped the top of the bar, in a moment would have left the Swansea goalkeeper with his heart in his mouth.

The teams were still at 0-0 at half time, despite the best efforts of hitman number 9, Tom Sparks and the lively play of Eder Zabala. However, they didn’t have to wait long until they took the lead. A pass forward was controlled deep in his own area by a Swansea defender, Sparks saw his chance and muscled his much larger counterpart off the ball, slotting the ball past the Swansea goalkeeper at his near post.

Yet, Swansea had some fight in them and their target-man number 13 was causing problems for the Aberystwyth defence as he grabbed their equaliser in sloppy circumstances. He received the ball on the left of the area, cut inside and ran at goal, hitting a shot which goalkeeper Tom Spence got a hand to, but ultimately couldn’t stop the ball crawling past him into the near post, giving Swansea an undeserved equaliser.

Frustrations then began to rise, Iwan getting booked on 75 minutes but it seemed all worth it when Farmer cut in from the left, and hit a right footed shot across the face of goal that found the bottom corner to give Aber a lead. This was then added to a few minutes later, when after the introduction of Dan Moore, he played a through ball to Sparks. The Swansea goalkeeper raced out of his goal, but Sparks beat him to it with a sliding challenge and the ball rolled over the line to give Aberystwyth an strong lead.

The home side then pushed for a fourth, and a hat-trick for Sparks but it wasn’t to be but Aber still got an important win. The win takes them to third place after three games, with Aberystwyth facing a trip to Southampton Solent 1st team next week.