Aber Town fail to build on Connah’s Quay win

Aberystwyth Town failed to build on their 2-1 victory over Connah’s Quay last weekend with a 2-0 loss at home to Llanelli on Friday 21st September.

Llanelli who have been wrought by financial problems over the last few months, along with a player shortage with three players sent off in their previous fixture, named Geoff Kellaway and Jason Bowen in their starting line-ups despite rumours from Llanelli themselves that both players were injured.

Kellaway nearly netted against his former side early on in the first half, meeting a cross from the right with his head and forcing James Wood into an uncomfortable save. ‘The Seasiders’ then had a flurry of goalmouth action and clearances, Glyndwr Hughes having a header cleared off the line and Jordan Follows having a shot saved by Craig Morris.

Llanelli then made both their financial and player shortage problems even worse as ex-Cardiff man Mamdou Diallo was controversially sent off for a diving lunge on Follows, even though Diallo won the ball he was still sent for the early bath.

Then, against all logic, Llanelli took the lead. A weak header back to Wood by Stuart Jones was pounced upon by Martin Rose who slotted the ball past the prone goalkeeper to give Llanelli the lead.

The problems for Aber were nearly made worse when Adam Worton seemed to jump on Corbissiero and take him down in the area, but the referee game a free-kick to the home side.

The majority of the second half possession was in favour of Aberystwyth Town but they couldn’t make it pay. Hughes’ fantastic movement nearly paid dividends for ‘the Seasiders’ as his header was parried over the bar by Morris.

Aside from this chance, there were relatively few for Aberystwyth in the second half despite their pressure on the Llanelli defence. Josh MacAuley was largely anonymous and offered little. Substitute Declan Carroll impressed with fantastic dribbling through defence on two occasions but, unfortunately couldn’t get a shot away. Countless corners were wasted also.

Llanelli then doubled their lead against the run of play, breaking down the right wing through Martin Rose who hit a shot from 20 yards which hit the underside of the crossbar and into the goal.

Once against Aberystwyth Town looked as though they may threaten but there was little in terms of clear chances for the home side. MacAuley and Michael Walsh were largely anonymous and after the Llanelli defeat, have slipped back to the bottom of the league.

Following this match Aber hoped to bounce back in the newly named ‘The Word Cup’ against Port Talbot at the Genquip Stadium. Aber went a goal down but came back through a Wyn Thomas free-kick and a Glyndwr Hughes header before conceding late on. A penalty shoot-out ended up deciding the cup tie, with Thomas missing his penalty and Aber going out of the League Cup.