Rugby, Netball and Hockey shine as other Aberystwyth teams average out

Men’s Rugby

Despite the blustery conditions, Aber ran in nine unanswered tries to ensure Swansea’s trip home was not a pleasant one.

Aber scored their first with only two minutes on the clock, Atkin making a good break from fullback and putting Bryan Woodhouse in for an easy score. A scrappy passage of play followed with Aber eventually conceding a penalty, which Swansea converted.

A couple of turnovers by Colin Overend starved Swansea of any continuity with Aber capitalising shortly after, centre Luke Brenan offloading to Woodhouse to cap a simple move. Jamie Loska then placed a sweet chip to the corner which bounced favourably for Woodhouse to complete his hat-trick.

The visitors added another penalty shortly after but the end result was never in doubt. Slick handling from Loska and captain Luke Philips broke down an onrushing Swansea defence to allow Brenan to cruise in under the posts. Aber finished the half with some crisp passing along the line to see Josh Charles touchdown in the corner, making the score 27-6 at the break.

The second half began as the first ended, Charles going over once again after good work from Loska and Atkin. Despite the twenty-six point margin, Swansea continued to kick their penalties and took another three points just after the second half.

For the first time in the match, Aber found themselves having to defend their own try line, yet the Swansea pressure was short-lived. The ball was turned over and spun down the line, Loska looping round to receive the final pass and sprinting clear for an outstanding team try.

With the game all but over, Aber continued to push forward. Alistair Winkler’s substitute appearance ended well; after dummying through defence he raced under the posts from inside the opposition’s 22.

Aber had the final say in this one sided match with Alex Spicer completing the rout, crashing over from close range after receiving an offload from fellow replacement Sam Chinnery. Despite struggling with the windy conditions, Brenan added the extras to set the final score at 51-12.


Women’s Football

Aberystwyth University Women’s first team continued their impressive start to the season with a victory over competitive opponents Bournemouth.

The early parts of the game were evenly matched with neither side able to gain control. Bournemouth opened the scoring in the twelfth minute after they latched onto a corner and finished clinically from six yards out.

Kaisa Pietila equalised seven minutes later with a well timed finish just before half time. After the break, both sides cancelled each other out with few chances for either team.

Just when the game looked destined for a draw, Gemma Kay was played through one-on-one with the keeper, and was able to casually slot home the winner.

Despite a frantic last five minutes in which Bournemouth piled on the pressure, Aberystwyth defended strongly and held out for the win.

Despite being in a higher division, Aberystwyth continue to prove they can win games.


Men’s football

Aberystwyth Men’s Football firsts suffered a close defeat at home against the University of Western England, succumbing to a 2-1 defeat.

In a feisty game that saw plenty of tackles flying in without many cards produced, Aberystwyth took a shock lead just after half an hour,when number ten Steffan Davies raced through on the counter attack and coolly slotted home from inside the penalty area, leaving the UWE goalkeeper stranded.

However, that is as good as it got for the firsts, and just before half time, UWE’s lively striker, No. 65, fired in from 18 yards out, after some poor defending from the home side.

The second half continued in the vein of the first half, with both sides sharing equal possession, but UWE took all three points back home on 80 minutes, after a moment of goalkeeping madness occurred. The Aberystwyth goalkeeper ran out of his box trying to intercept a through ball, but the impressive UWE No.65 easily rounded him before squaring the ball to number 8, who had the easiest chance of the match, dispatching the ball past the despairing Aber defender, making it 2-1 to the home side.

That is how it stayed, after an impressive performance from Aber against quality opposition. They were somewhat unlucky not to get anything from the game.

On the back of two successive defeats, Aber Men’s Football seconds came through a closely contested game 3-2 against Swansea. Goals from Tom Clarke, Steve Harrison and Dan Moore ensured the three points despite a late goal from the visitors.



The most successful Aber-based club on Wednesday was the Hockey Club. The Men’s firsts had Joseph Baxter to thank, as he scored a hat trick in their game against the University of Western England seconds to secure a 3-3 draw. UWE struck the first and second devastating blow as they went 2-0 up in the first 25 minutes. Aberystwyth managed to claw one back thanks to Baxter, but UWE scored another to head into the half time interval 3-1 up. However, it was that man Joseph Baxter again, as he managed to score another two, which meant the spoils were shared in this exciting game.

The Men’s seconds recorded an impressive 5-2 win against Glamorgan seconds with five different scorers. Ryan Link, James Kelly, Angus Pashley, Phil Branford and George Unwin were the five on the score sheet in an impressive run out for the second string, which will surely breed confidence within the ranks.

The Women’s firsts also recorded an emphatic win, beating Bristol fourths 8-0. Even though the difference in class was plain to see for the spectators, Aber Women did struggle to get into the game early on, and even though they were still the better side in the first half and went into the half time interval 3-0 up, they never really hit the top of their game. However, they really stepped it up in the second half, and scored 5 goals. One of the main differences between the two sides was that Aber had a clinical edge; they had one penalty flick and converted that, and scored two out of three short corners, really putting Bristol to the sword. It was still a remarkable performance and result from the women, and the goal scorers were Emma Laycock-Cumming, Charlie Price, Sarah Forest, Ellie Cannon and Rebecca Potter.