Varsity 2016: Women’s Hockey clinch a win a sudden death flicks showdown

THE WOMEN’S Hockey Club had a mixed day results wise. The day started with the 2nd team sadly losing 9-1 to Bangor. The only goal was scored by their president, Lucy Slatter, in her final game for AUWHC. Man of the match went to Evie Maddocks for her outstanding performance in the match. Dick of the day went to Ffion Sparey (vice-captain) for her sarcastic comments on the pitch!

Credit: AUWHC

A brave performance and a goal from Lucy Slatter for the first Hockey fixture of the day. Credit: AUWHC

Stress then started to kick in with the 1st team drawing 1-1 with Bangor. Fresher Ellen Van Havenbergh scored the only goal of the match meaning the final result was left up to penalty flicks. Five players from each team went head-to-head which also went to a draw, meaning the match went to sudden death. Captain Laura Coggins (also in her final game for AUWHC), Bethan Cogger and Ellen Van Havenbergh all had amazing goals which Bangor were unable to match meaning overall Aberystwyth won! Man of the match went to Katie Roberts for keeping her cool in goal during the flicks, resulting in the win. Dick of the day went to Lauren Morris for being very silly after the match had finished! Overall we really enjoyed varsity again this year and we were very proud to join with the rest of Team Aber in our pink socks! #stefanssocks

A huge team effort both on the pitch and for the charity Mind with their participation in the #Stefanssocks campaign. Credit: AUWHC

A huge team effort both on the pitch and for the charity Mind with their participation in the #Stefanssocks campaign.
Credit: AUWHC

Keep checking out Aber Student Media this week for more Varsity coverage and our incoming Varsity Special Courier!