BUCS leagues end as Real Varsity build-up begins

AS THIS term comes to an end, so too does another BUCS season. With just rescheduled fixtures and Cricket to be played in the final term the league tables have settled for the time being and sit 70th of the 179 registered institutions, four places behind Bangor. Tîm/Team Aber have been chasing their Varsity rivals (the competition is now less than a month away) since early first term, always within touching distance but never with a greater overall points score.

Comparing the two universities results team-by-team is an even closer picture; Netball are just one point off Bangor in terms of BUCS, the same as womens Lacrosse. Overall Aber have the edge in all football competitions 23-22, with mens football also separated by the single point margin, a big surprise given the fact that they’ve won their league with a game to spare and with only one loss.

Points are awarded to the two sides in league, cup and individual competitions, and Aber are out-performing Bangor in the latter two of these, but the consistency of their teams each week has just edged the other side ahead.

Given the massive investment in their sports resources and facilities in the last few years, it is to be expected that Bangor are doing better; however, their slim lead is much less than would have been hoped for. State of the art improvements elsewhere have not prevented the talent here in Aberystwyth from flourishing. As well as the mens Football 1st team lifting their league trophy, two teams in the last fortnight, womens Hockey 1st and mens Rugby Union 1st, have claimed silverware with spare fixtures too. Hockey have clinched the South Wales Division Two league title, and Union have seven wins in seven in their BUCS league.

Aber fought as hard as any game this season in their quarter-final Cup game against USW 2nd. Suffering their only loss of the season (12-14) back in February, their form has been superb and are pegged to demolish Bangor at Varsity on April 16th.

Aber fought as hard as any game this season in their quarter-final Cup game against USW 2nd. Suffering their only loss of the season (12-14) back in February, their form has been superb and they are pegged to demolish Bangor at Varsity on April 16th. Credit: Chris Howells

With Easter now here, the next competitive game for many teams – both sports and societies – will be Varsity. Hosted in Bangor for the second year in a row, it will be the away teams’ best ever chance to achieve back-to-back victories in the competition for the first time. Aber made history with wins in 2013 & 2014, but an away win is still yet to be snatched by either team.

With both Rugby League and Union games back on the schedule this year, Aber have undoubtedly got a better chance of taking the majority of the 41 contests. New for this year as well are Pole Fitness and Surfing, so with proven talents and new challenges it is expected that Bangor’s home advantage will be eroded at least slightly from last year’s convincing 29-11 home win.

Keep your eyes on Aber Student Media for more Varsity build-up over Easter, and live coverage on the day.