Griffiths bridges gap for Aber Town against Nomad’s

Last seasons trip to Park Avenue for The Nomads was also a 1-1 draw. Credit: Alex Tanton

Last seasons trip to Park Avenue for The Nomads was also a 1-1 draw.
Credit: Alex Tanton

ON A COLD early Autumn afternoon in Aberystwyth it was the substitution of Rhys Griffiths into the game which ultimately assured the spoils were to be shared between Aberystwyth Town and The Nomads from Gap Connah’s Quay. A 1-1 draw was a fair result for sides evenly matched both on the field of play and in the Dafabet Welsh Premier League Table, as they were sixth and eighth respectively before play.

The remnants of The Haverfordwest hangover from the 4-1 Welsh League Cup defeat in midweek were plain to see for all those inside Park Avenue, as Aberystwyth failed to have any telling shots on goal for the entire first half, whilst their counterparts shot across the bows of Chris Mullock’s goal often but with lacking accuracy in the opening exchanges. Only Nick Rushton drew Mullock into action with a left footed drive from just inside the box on the half-hour mark. The Seasiders were in fact lucky not to go behind inside the first ten minutes as Les Davies, the Connah’s Quay Number 10, saw a shot deflected off his strike partner, Number 9 Ashley Ruane, and hit the base of Mullock’s left-hand post.

Connah’s Quay were the better side for the majority of the game, as the centre-back pairing of Paul Linwood and George Horan were often allowed to bring the ball out of the defensive third and start attacks from inside their own half, drilling balls up to their front two through the non-existent Aber Town midfield. The few times Aber did find a way through was when Jamie Reed would drift to the right-hand side of the defensive pairing and interplay with Geoff Kellaway down the right wing. The crosses were often blocked at first receiver or headed over by Chris Venables or Reed, as Aber lacked a palpable cutting edge.

Aber’s most memorable attacks were directly from set-pieces. Venables drew Connah’s Quay Goalkeeper John Danby into a finger-tip save from a free-kick just outside the box midway through the second half when the score was at 1-0. The goal itself was a product of good execution from the visitors and poor marking from Aber, as Nick Rushton was allowed to lose his marker and run across the box to the front post and finish a Wes Baynes driven corner with aplomb just after 49 minutes. That was the way proceedings threatened to finish as time ticked away from the Black and Greens, but they kept their heads up right to the death to profit from a ricochet in the box from a Craig Williams cross down the left flank, Griffith’s staying sharp inside the six yard box to ensure a point stayed here in SY23 and another travelled back to LL13. Aber were left seventh on 11 points whilst Connah’s Quay landed eighth on 10 points, both having played eight games in this still young 2015/2016 season.

Aber’s next game against The Nomads is away this coming Saturday, October 17th. The supporters coach will be leaving Park avenue at 9:30am.