Two rabbits found dead in student halls

University ‘conducting a thorough investigation’ of  reported incidents involving dead rabbits in Pantycelyn

TWO RABBITS were allegedly found dead in a shower room in Pantycelyn Halls last month. The incident is said to have involved two rabbits being killed and left in a shower with blood left smeared across a corridor. A photo, seen by Aberystwyth Student Media and deemed too graphic to print, was also posted on Facebook showing a man in a bath holding a dead rabbit.

A second photo is said to be in the possession of staff members at the university.

Photo - Rebecca James

Photo – Rebecca James

A source told ASM that a trail of what appeared to be blood was discovered in a Pantycelyn corridor. Staff, in concern for a student, followed the trail into a shower room, where two dead rabbits were found in one of the showers.

Since investigating this incident, Aber Student Media have uncovered a number of other alleged events, one confirmed by a Students’ Union staff member as involving a washing machine.

The staff member, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “Two dead rabbits were found by the Pantycelyn porters/cleaners and their blood was smeared on a wall.

“In another incident, a guy posted a picture of himself on Facebook having a bath with a rabbit corpse. There was a dead rabbit found in a washing machine a while ago. No one knows whether it was dead or alive when it went in. People are claiming these are unrelated incidents, but I find that hard to believe.

“I think names have been handed to the police but I don’t know who.”

The incident with the washing machine was said to have taken place on Wednesday, 29th April, although when contacted, Dyfed-Powys Police said there were no calls between 28th and 30th April relating to it. However, the University have confirmed that a “thorough investigation” into the incidents is already underway, with staff “ready to instigate disciplinary proceedings”.

A spokesperson for the university said: “The University is deeply concerned and disappointed by the reported antisocial behaviour of some Pantycelyn residents.

“The alleged harming of animals, and the destruction of University property, is wholly unacceptable.  Aberystwyth University prides itself on being one of the safest places in the UK to be a student, and this kind of behaviour is exceptionally rare within our community. The University is conducting a thorough investigation of the reported incidents at Pantycelyn Hall and is ready to instigate disciplinary proceedings as appropriate. The University urges anyone with any information about these allegations to come forward and assist with these investigations.”

“Aberystwyth University strives to create a safe and inclusive environment for all our students to learn and reside within University accommodation, and is saddened by the destructive actions of these individuals. The University will not be commenting any further on this matter.”