THIS year’s Corbin Awards were a triumphant success on Friday [1st May] evening. Committee, members and alumni all came together in the most anticipated even on the ASM calendar. The Corbin Awards are to celebrate everything we’ve produced in the last year.
What follows below is a rundown of all the winners, as well as the runners up (where applicable!)
On a personal note, I’d like to say congratulations – not just to the winners, but to everyone’s who’s contributed this year, anything from a photo, an article, to a seemingly endless tirade of emails (you know who you are).
I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone this year for everything that has bee achieved. All the best for the future.
Best Opinion Article:
- Winner: Should our library be 24hrs? – Ffion Murphy and Bring back revision week, we’re drowning – Ffion Murphy
- Runner Up: I’d rather keep the parties at my house than in Parliament – Cameron Smyth and Starbucks: What’s all the fuss about? – Andrew Simpson
Best News Article:
- Winner: Grade inflation scandal hits physics department – Katie Saint
- Runner Up: Aberystwyth Officially named greatest town in the UK – Jonny Haseldine and Starbucks Welsh attempt leaves bitter aftertaste – Josh James
Best Lifestyle Article:
Winner: The truth about freshers – Sarah Thornhill
- Runner Up: 10 things you learn from being a student in Aberystwyth – Holly Hayward and Top stress busting tips – Josh Burston
Best Sports Article:
- Winner: Premier League TV Rights: The Courier Sports Team Reacts – Erik Olsson, Lewis Owen, Illtud Dafydd
- Runner Up: The Welsh Premier League ‘Super Twelve’ – Time to stick or twist? – Lewis Owen and Aberystwyth Men’s Rugby 1st XV 37-22 UWTSD Swansea Men’s 1st XV – Illtud Dafydd
Best Features Article:
- Winner: Green Bay: your guide to sustainability – Beth Saunders and Andrew Simpson
- Runner Up: This is Africa – Rhian Hughes and Five signs you’re an Aberystwyth Student – Emma Mellor
Best Arts Article:
- Winner: Theory of Everything – Rebecca Jones
- Runner Up: Comic Book Movies – Andrew Monk and ‘So Unfair’ – Danny Richardson
- Best Team Member: Cameron Smyth
- Runners Up: Andrew Simpson and Calvin Biddle
- Best Team Member: Maisie O’Brien
- Runners Up: Jo Jones and Nora Engeseth
- Best Team Member: Morgan Nock
- Runner up: Erik Olsson
- Best Team Member: Emma Mellor
- Runner Up: Beth Saunders
- Best Team Member: Andrew Monk
- Runner Up: Rebecca Jones
- Best Team Member: Will Salmon
- Runners Up: Iestyn Davies, Jenny Case and Rebecca Jones
A farewell video was put together by Gavin Berry for the evening:
Bay Radio Awards
Best Daytime Show:
- Winners – Brunch On Bay.
- Runners Up: The Dan and Greg Show and The Breakfast Show
- Winners – The Sports Show.
- Runners Up – Because Science and The Opinion Show.
- Winners – Strip It Back.
- Runners Up – Redcoat Radio and Belly Of The Bay.
- Winners – Christopher-Cameron McNaught.
- Runners Up – Lauren Roberts and Daniel Oldham.
Bay TV Awards
- Winner: Gavin Berry
- Winner: Shaun Butler
- Winner: Gavin Berry
Best TV Presenter:
- Winner: Svend Ottesen
The Big Four
- Winner: Kieran Dunbar
The Pete Le Riche Award for Outstanding Contribution by a Member of Alumni:
Andrew Simpson said: This person has gone above and beyond anyone else in terms of supporting the society through the year in a variety of ways from helping out at events, to developing a much easier way to make Courier design templates. Additionally they have helped me throughout the year in both keeping my sanity and with any online issues. Taking on this role, I had a very hard act to follow and It is apt in a way that I now give the Pete Le Riche award for outstanding contribution to alumni. (I’m sure you have all figured it out now), so the winner is…
- Winner: Laura Say
Most Dedicated Non Committee Member:
Cameron Smyth said: Now this individual has been a great embodiment of what ASM is. ASMcame together three years ago and this person shows why we did this by getting involved in every section. This individual has helped at just about every event Asm has run this year and been to a lot of the socials. Not only is he a great person who would help anyone and has the nicest personality, but is generous, genuine and honest. He has helped me a lot personally and I have to say, he has some amazing hats. It’s a great privilege for me to present the award for the most dedicated non-committee member to the future TV Manager…
- Winner: Gavin Berry
Most Dedicated Committee Member:
Rhian Hughes said: Picking the winner for this category is very difficult. With 26 committee members all of them go above and beyond their duty. I have been privileged to work with some incredible people this year and it will be a shame when we have to hand over to next year’s committee. This one person though, from day one has been an asset to ASM and the running of the society. I consider him a great manager and a dear friend. Not only has he helped me on more than one occasion at the last minute, but has also reassured me throughout the year on matters that wasn’t necessarily in his field. I wish him the best of luck in the future and only wish our paths will cross again.
- Winner: Andrew Simpson