Varsity 2015: Preview

The Official TimAber #Varsity2015 Fixture List

SATURDAY 18th of April sees 10 coach loads of Aberystwyth University students athletes head north to Bangor to represent Tim Aber Team across over 40 events. Aberystwyth have claimed the trophy which has been replaced by the past years’ red dragon for a new cup for the past two years, both Varsities’ held in Aberystwyth

Varsity 2015 has unofficially already come and gone for some teams. Aberystwyth University Men’s Cricket and Aberystwyth Horse Riding participated in their events on Wednesday the 15th of April, under dubious circumstances. Despite this AUCC claimed a draw as rain stopped their play with Tom Acton’s team chasing 151 after bowling Bangor out in 19 overs whilst the Equestrian won their showjumping event but lost the dressage which meant the Bangor riders claimed the point. Bangor lead Varsity 3-0 as Aberystwyth pulled out of Men’s Rugby Union and Mountain biking after “an agreed fixture deadline” in February.

Looking forward to the main day of action, the sports will be mainly set out across 3 main sites, Treborth grass pitches, Canolfan Brailsford and Nantporth, with some events being held across North Wales, like at Arfon Tennis Club and the Llandudno pool. Men’s Hockey 2nd XI’s have the honour of opening the day, James Gray leading his team out for Varsity and from midday sports kick-off, punt off and push back all day until 5 o’clock. Keep an eye out for Tarannau after their unbeaten regular season, who have already beaten their Bangor counterparts (The Mud Dogs, 20-0) this season which starts at midday. Men’s Badminton lead the way for TimAber in BUCS Score and face Bangor Men’s 1sts, who play in BUCS Northern 1A with their fixture starting later at 2pm. Both Netball outfits have fixtures, Sophie Stainton leading the 1sts and  Annabel Charlton leading the 2nds and the Men’s Football fixture, the main event for the first time in over 2 years kicks off at 5, at Bangor City’s Bookpeople Stadium.

The evening kick-off on the 3G at Nantporth will see Chris Warden’s side, who normally play in the Mid Wales League face up against Bangor’s 1st XI who play every Wednesday in BUCS Northern 2A. Warden has picked an experienced squad with over 10 squad members over 20 years of age. Despite seeing two managers come and go this season Warden notes “We have a packed April with the Varsity match being right in the middle of that makes for a nervy yet exciting time for the entire club” and was in a positive mood along with Dan Pugh and Nick Schleissing on Bay Radio’s Sports Varsity Special on Thursday Night. Look out for German midfielder Sebastian Seidel who will add some continental panache to Aber’s play.

Aberystwyth squad to face Bangor: Alex Westbury, Sam Chapman, Tom Frances, Niall Jones, Joshua Price, Dan Weaver, Matthew Hunton, Chris Warden, Rian Devlin, Liam Powell, Tom Sparks, Dan Pugh, Alistair Palmer, Fraser Wheatley, Seb Seidel, Matthew Curtis, Sam Tobin, Craig Chihuri.

Aber Student Media will have live coverage through our live blog and Twitter account, @abersmsports of the Men’s Football match along with many other #Varsity2015 events.