DIGS Aber Town Cup Semi- Final: Inter Your Nan FC 1 – 4 C.P.D. Y Geltaidd

Y Geltaidd's Captain - Matthew Evans, led by example

Y Geltaidd’s Captain – Matthew Evans, led by example

IN THE FIRST of two Aber Town Cup semi-finals played at Blaendolau, Y Geltaidd, captained by Matthew Evans beat Inter Your Nan, coming back from 1-0 down to win convincingly 4-1.

In the first match back, for a majority of the players, after the 3 week Easter break, the sun shone down on Blaendolau, with red faces to be seen across the field and on the touchline, with Y Geltaidd’s fans in fine form, quality and quantity once again. The early stages were tight with both sides looking to figure each other out with German midfielder Seb Seidel dealing very well with a busy midfield area coming up against Carwyn Eckley and his soft first touches. Inter Your Nan were first on the score sheet as a free kick was played in on keeper Gwyn Rosser, who fumbled and the goal bundled home. 10 minutes later, referee Tony Bickley sent Inter’s midfielder Myah Williams for a high challenge, which was duly applauded by the Geltaidd fans, and accepted without protest by Williams. Y Geltaidd’s first goal came through winger Tom Davies, who had broken through earlier in the half to no avail, second time round he slotted past Luke Antoniou in the Inter goal just in time for the half-time whistle.

Half-Time: Inter Your Nan FC 1-1 C.P.D. Y Geltaidd

Y Geltaidd’s intentions were set early from the whistle, Tom Davies once again with a chance, this time his attempted lob skimming the crossbar. Davies on the right-wing combined well with former Ysgol Gyfun Bro Myrddin schoolmate Ynyr James on the left wing well for the first hour. James was given a golden chance to put his side up 2-1 through a penalty, but Antoniou in the Inter goal saved his weak attempt. With 20 minutes to go the heat calmed down, but the pressure on Inter’s goal rose, and Matthew Evans nodded home with a free header to put the team in green ahead for the first time. Inter Your Nan wouldn’t threaten Rosser in Y Geltaidd’s goal all second half, especially as influential Seb Seidel had to leave at half-time to play for the University’s 1st team. Left-back Gruff Jones added a well-deserved third, Jones who had been playing some lovely weighted crosses into the box all evening, and captain Evans added a second for himself and a fourth for his team.

Y Geltaidd through to the Aber Town Cup Final, they made the extra man pay.

Man of the Match: Matthew Evans (Captain C.P.D. Y Geltaidd)