VARSITY 2014: Swimming

Tomos Nolan

Tomos Nolan

ABERYSTWYTH University’s Swimming Club emerged victorious from the afternoon of enjoyable competition at Aberystwyth University Sports Centre. The scoring system was that the winners got two points in a relay and a solitary point in the individual races. The middle two lanes were competitive races and the outer two were swimming for enjoyment only- in theory at least, this is Varsity after all.

Honourable mentions to Captain Millie Farmer, who won every race she swam. Bangor, by their own admission, are an improving outfit and have some work to do to compete with Aberystwyth. Nonetheless, Bangor won the mens 50m freestyle amongst other victories. Bangor were always up against it after losing both relays at the beginning of the match, and the first individual race, thus finding themselves 5-0 down on the B of The Bang.

The technical swimming on display was of high quality, proof of all the hours of training which Aberystwyth have put in on those early winter mornings in the lead up to Varsity 2014, and also for various BUCS events throughout the year.

Aberystwyth definitely benefited from a group of committed and talented swimmers who have continued their swimming whilst here in Wales. Tom Kelly’s breaststroke and Fiona Clarke in particular on the last leg of the women’s 50m freestyle relay were very impressive, swimming high in the water with minimal breathing, a skill that requires a high input of time and effort to perfect.

Tomos Nolan

Tomos Nolan

A deserved tip of the cap to para-swimmer Leo Johnson of Bangor, who missed out on qualification for the Commenwealth Games this summer in Glasgow by 1.7 seconds last month. In his 100m butterfly he swam a 1:24.50, which according to the man himself is a near-fourteen second Personal Best. Swimming in a match in which the cards were undoubtedly stacked against him, he definitely struck a blow. The superhumans are fighting back.

We at Aber Student Media wish him all the best as he prepares for his next competitive swim in May.

The spoils go to Aberystwyth, with a 22-6 victory, to Bangor, the goal of improving and growing for their rematch on home soil in 12 months time. The sport of swimming the winner, in a great display from both Welsh Universities.