Swansea president suspended pending investigation

Zahid Raja has been suspended from his duties as Students' Union president

Zahid Raja has been suspended from his duties as Students’ Union president

SWANSEA Students’ Union Trustee Board have made the decision to suspend president Zahid Raja “pending the outcome of an investigation”.

According to a statement released by Swansea Union, the suspension in this case is not a disciplinary act, rather a neutral act designed to protect him, and any complainant until the investigation has been completed.

Expenses claims

Aber Student Media broke the news last month that Raja was under investigation relating to expenses claims over the month, including a claim for a trip to the Universities UK Reception, held by The Lord Mayor of London (Alderman Fiona Woolf), in London on the 4th March. The total claim was for £416.

At the time, Raja defended his claim, saying: “Much like in any other Students’ Union of our size, the President doesn’t seek permission to go to conferences / take students where if their interest is furthered, it benefits the student body. If this were the case, more than half of my time at work would be spent in red tape. I would question what political motivations lie beneath ‘the Union’ now quizzing this single trip ahead of a FTO election where the candidate in question is not an incumbent. It smacks of double standards.”

Raja will not be communicating with students unless authorised to do so during the suspension.