WELCOME back to Hype, our weekly arts blog, where you’ll be able to keep up to date with the latest and biggest news from the global arts scene, as well as keeping in touch with what’s on in and around Aberystwyth.
You’ll be able to find out the latest and the greatest, Aberystwyth film times and news, rumours, and much more.
First up… the biggest headlines from this week!
- The Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will be made into a trilogy of films.
- Billboard has unavailable plans to create a real-time chart based off twitter traffic.
- Frozen has become the highest grossing animation film of all time at $1.072bn.
- Hugh Jackman, Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr have all said that their tenures as superhero’s will end at some point. Studios have said that they are thinking of replacing them in the same style as James Bond.
- Assassin’s Creed V has been confirmed for next gen consoles. However another game may be in development for old generation consoles as well.
- Filming of Avengers 2 is under way in Seoul. See the video below of Joss Whedon apologising for this.
- A second posthumous album of Michael Jackson will be released in May with 8 new tracks.
- Warner Bros recently teased an upcoming announcement of future DC comics films.
ABERYSTWYTH is again spoiling us for choice in the next week. Here’s just a few highlights to look forward to!
Firstly, coming up is the Opening Doors Festival which encompasses theatre performances, dance and music from across the world right here in Aberystwyth. Starting from the 1st April, the theatre in town will be celebrating their 25th anniversary in style. For more information on the international festival, then visit their website here.
Continuing on the theatre side of things, Dead Born Grow will be appearing on the 1st April in the Arts Centre. A physical theatre production from Frantic Assembly and National Youth Theatre, in what has been termed a energetic, dark and risk taking performance. The Next instalment of New York Met Opera will be on Saturday 5th April with La Boheme.
Films coming to the Arts Centre this week include: Nymphomaniac parts 1 and 2 on Friday 4th April and The Monuments Men, starting on the Sunday 6th April for 6 days. Nymphomaniac is a controversial new film that follows chapters of the life of a women from birth to the age of 50.
This week at the Commodore, the latest Marvel Cinematic Universe instalment has arrived in the from of Captain America: Winter Soldier. It is set to be on at the commodore for 2 weeks and listings can be found here. A full review will be online on ASM shortly. There is also another showing of The LEGO Movie on Saturday 5th April at 14:30. Following Captain America 2, the next film at the Commodore will be Muppets Most Wanted, check out the next edition of Hype for a full preview.
With thanks to: Andrew Simpson, Joe Fairweather, Andrew Monk and Andrew Noel.