Hype: 24th – 30th March

Hype banner

WELCOME back to Hype, our weekly arts blog, where you’ll be able to keep up to date with the latest and biggest news from the global arts scene, as well as keeping in touch with what’s on in and around Aberystwyth.

You’ll be able to find out the latest and the greatest, Aberystwyth film times and news, rumours, and much more.

Arts News

First up… the biggest headlines from this week!

• Coldplay announce their new album Ghost Stories, set for release on the 19th May.
  • Andy Serkis is to make his directorial debut with a live-action Jungle Book movie.
  • A new trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past has been released (see below).
  • Christian Bale is said to be the top choice for a Steve Jobs biopic movie.
  • Kanye West is on probation for two years after an assault case.
  • Kate Bush reveals she is once again touring, which will be her first live shows since 1979.
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 for the PC will be “completely different” to the mobile version.

What’s On?

ABERYSTWYTH is again spoiling us for choice in the next week. Here’s just a few highlights to look forward to!

Coming up at the Commodore this week is the highly anticipated Captain America: The Winter Soldier. We see the return of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers aka Captain America trying to adjust to modern world and the events post The Avengers. Yet once S.H.I.E.L.D is under a series of attacks, he joins up with Black Widow once again to find the culprits and unravel a widening conspiracy. We can also assume that this mysterious ‘Winter Soldier’ will also make an appearance. Captain America 2 will be arriving at the Commodore this Friday, for two weeks and you can find a full review on ASM soon. A full set of listings can be found here.

The Arts Centre has a number of events that are sure to keep you entertained over the next week. Firstly, the Wales One World Festival continues until Thursday with a selection of films for you to enjoy. You can follow coverage on Bay TV, as well as reviews on Aber Student Media’s website.

Along the theatre lines, a production called The Mikado will be showing on the 25th and 26th March. Also, Dylan Thomas: Clown in the Moon will be coming to the Arts Centre on the 28th March. A play that looks at the life of poet Dylan Thomas and the frequently hilarious moments that came with it.

The Celtic band Salsa Celtica are performing on the 26th March in a  unique synthesis of music as the combination of Scotland and Ireland’s leading Celtic musicians come together.

Also coming up are the films The Grand Bupapest Hotel and Her, starting from this Friday until the 6th and 3rd April respectively. On the comedy front, Mitch Benn is coming to the Arts Centre on Friday 28th March with his show Mitch Benn is the 37th Beatle. 

Finally, the Philomusica of Aberystwyth is returning on Saturday 29th March. In this… somewhat different show, the orchestra will perform live Neil Brand’s critically acclaimed score to Alfred Hitchcock’s classic 1929 silent movie Blackmail, which will be shown on screen. They’ll also be performing other movie classics: this first for Aberystwyth is surely not an event to miss.

With thanks to: Andrew Simpson, Joe Fairweather, Sam Halford, Sarah Thornhill and Laura Say.