Tarannau Cheerleaders win biggest university competition in Europe

Aberystwyth University Tarannau Cheerleaders have secured a massive competition victory this weekend as their level two cheer division finished in 1st place at the Future Cheer: Saturday Night Fever event – Europe’s biggest university cheerleading competition.

Over 35 competing Aber cheerleaders travelled to the event, held at the University of Bath on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd of February, which was Tarannau’s first competition of the 2013-14 season. Four groups competed: Level two stunt group (8th position), level three stunt group (5th position), level three stunt group ‘thunderbirds’ (11th position), and the victorious level two cheer division.

The competition marked a number of historic firsts for the AU Cheerleaders. Not only was this their first time at a Future Cheer competition, but it was also the first time that Tarannau had ever entered an all-girl level three stunt group – this year they competed with two. In addition to these achievements, this weekend marked the first time a Tarannau main routine has ever placed 1st in the cheer division.

The Future Cheer organisation is the first organisation outside of the USA to join and be accepted by cheerleading’s governing bodies, the International All Star Federation, and the US All Star Federation. This was Tarannau’s first time at one of their events.

Speaking exclusively to Aber Student Media, delighted Tarannau cheer captain Cassi Adelmann told us: “We did not expect to do as well as we have, but somehow we pulled it off!!” When asked whether they beat Bangor, Adelmann told us: “Bangor weren’t there, they didn’t think they could compete!!”

You can hear the full interview by clicking below. The Tarannau club is competing again this weekend of the 1st / 2nd March, travelling to Exeter for the British Cheerleading Association’s ‘Western Classic’ event.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.