Hype: 24th February – 2nd March

Hype banner

WELCOME to our brand new weekly arts blog, where you’ll be able to keep up to date with the latest and biggest news from the global arts scene, as well as keeping in touch with what’s on in and around Aberystwyth.

You’ll be able to find out the latest and the greatest, Aberystwyth film times and news, rumours, and much more.

Arts News

First up… the biggest headlines from this week!

• Lily Allen’s first album after her long hiatus is called Sheezus, a reference to Yeezus by Kanye West.
  • NBC are reviving Heroes 4 years after its cancellation with a 13 episode series titled Heroes Reborn.
  • Space Jam 2 is in development… we are not ready for this.
  • A Lego Movie sequel has been confirmed for May 26, 2017.
  • Bastille have once again returned to number one on the UK Albums Chart with Bad Blood.
  • Fantastic Four‘ reboot cast has been announced, including Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara starring.
  • Finally, the first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer has been released to world acclaim (see below).

What’s On?

ABERYSTWYTH is again spoiling us for choice in the next week, and here are a few highlights to look forward to.

The Students’ Union has a packed schedule of events coming this month including the ever-popular Black House, which will be coming to the Union on the 1st March. Aber Student Media have two tickets to give away: pick up a copy of The Courier to find out more. Find out where you can by clicking here.

Continuing on their success, Rummers will be hosting another Open Mic Night on Sunday. Hosted by Rewired, they are definitely something to check out if you haven’t already.

Along with the films at the Commodore, (The LEGO Movie and Jack Ryan), the Arts Centre will also be hosting a number of films in the coming week. Including (if you missed them before) both Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle. Check out our reviews of both by clicking on the links above.

Also coming to the Arts Centre on the live music line is  Tree of Leaf and Flame – a unique blend of storytelling and music. There is also the  theatre production The End on the 26th, a unique take on the topical issue of knife crime.

Finally, the next showing of National Theatre Live this month will be War Horse, showing on the 27th and 28th February, with showings also in March. Broadcast live from London’s West End to the Arts Centre cinema, it’s your chance to see the stage adaptation of Michael Morpurgo’s novel, which has also recently been adapted into film.

Jack Ryan parachutes into the Commodore

jack-ryan-shadow-recruitJACK Ryan is not a character that has always been treated well by the film industry. The latest attempt at a Jack Ryan movie, entitled The Sum of All Fears and starring Ben Affleck, was average at best but the signs are there to suggest that Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit may buck this trend.

Kenneth Branagh directs and has promised to take the character back to its roots in the set of novels by Tom Clancy. In Shadow Recruit, we will find Ryan, played by Chris Pine, working as an analyst with a university degree, who is unwittingly thrust into action by a terrorist plot led by Branagh himself.

Both Pine and Branagh have excellent acting chops and the casting of Pine suggests the film will focus on character among the action set pieces. Pine’s turn as Captain Kirk in Star Trek revolutionised that series and Jack Ryan fans will hope he can do the same for them.

Kenneth Branagh has serious directorial pedigree having directed the first Thor movie which remains the best offering from Marvel Studios. He showed with that film that he can craft an intelligent and thoughtful action movie and so there is definitely cause to be excited.

With thanks to: Andrew Simpson, Sam Meadows, Joe Fairweather, Andrew Monk and Laura Say.