Rally against Pantycelyn closure to take place on Saturday

UNDEB Myfyrwyr Cymraeg Aberystwyth (UMCA) are to hold a rally outside Neuadd Pantycelyn on the 15th of February at 12pm.

Pantycelyn  Photo by Tomos Nolan

Pantycelyn
Photo by Tomos Nolan

The rally is being staged to protest against the closure of Pantycelyn halls, with Welsh language speakers being placed in the new Penglais Farm residences from September 2014 under current University plans. There have been several high profile protests since the plans were first unveiled, including during open days.

There will be several guest speakers at the rally, including Adam Price, Catrin Dafydd, Emyr Llywelyn, Adrian Morgan, Steffan Roberts and Jeff Smith.

In a statement to Aberystwyth Student Media, Eiri Angharad, Welsh Language Officer at the Student’s Union said, “This rally will be a chance for the University to see that the closing of Pantycelyn Halls is not only a tragedy for Welsh speaking students and learners here in Aberystwyth, it would be a national loss. Pantycelyn is an important resource for the whole of Wales, that supports Welsh as a living language. There are people throughout Wales who are infuriated by the University’s plans, and many will be traveling this Saturday to show their solidarity. With the language in such decline, Pantycelyn is now the only community in Ceredigion where over 70% of its inhabitants are Welsh speakers – to kill this community would be an absolute disgrace.”

Mared Ifan, UMCA President also stated that, “This is not a matter just for Pantycelyn students, it is a national matter. If the Welsh community here in Aberystwyth was to deteriorate, it would not only be a loss for us, but a loss for all of Wales. We call on the University to commit to not close Pantycelyn and invest in the future of the hall. We also call on people to support the campaign against the closure of Pantycelyn, by attending the rally on February 15 in Aberystwyth.”