New study space to open in town

THE UNIVERSITY has issued a “firm commitment” to significantly improve its town centre study space provision by September 2014.

The study spaces at Aber Uni's Old College have been deemed below par. Photo - Guy Drury

The study spaces at Aber Uni’s Old College have been deemed below par.
Photo – Guy Drury

Grace Burton, Students’ Union Education Officer, announced the news last night (11th)  at the Student Assembly. Speaking exclusively to Aberystwyth Student Media, she said:

“The poor quality of study provision in the town centre is something that desperately needs improvement. Currently there are only 16 computers available 24/7 for the 6,000 students living in town, compared to the 200+ available on Penglais campus for the (roughly) 2,500 students living there. When you consider the poor condition of many student houses, the current provision is really having a negative impact.”

“I’m really pleased that the University have committed to redress the balance.”

The current study space at 10 Laura Place was opened in the 2011/12 academic year and formed the first in town study space open 24/7. However, it has recently come under criticism from many students, who have  brought to attention the lack of air conditioning, cramped and outdated atmosphere, poor street lighting around the area and lack of toilet facilities after the main building is closed in the evening, as well as the small number of computers and lack of desk space.

Discussions have been taking place this academic year between Burton and Rebecca Davies [Pro Vice-Chancellor for Staff and Student Services], and whilst the University has yet to confirm the exact location to be used, they have issued a “firm commitment” for a space to be ready for the 2014/15 academic year.