Aber Town draw with Bangor

Aber 1ABER TOWN were held to a 3-3 draw by fierce rivals Bangor City, in a game that was overshadowed by an FAW charge relating to Peter Hoy’s involvement in Aber’s game against Gap Connah’s Quay. The Seasiders have been charged under article 38.1.6 of the rules and regulations of the FAW which states that the club ‘failed to take precautions’ to prevent Hoy from playing whilst under suspension.

Full back Hoy, who arrived at the club in the summer from Bangor City, was suspended after picking up five yellow cards when he took to the field against Connah’s Quay on the 4th January. This is clearly in breach of FAW rules and has led to the charge. Aberystwyth Town could face a points deduction; similar to Connah’s Quay, who were deducted one point last season for a very similar offence. Any deduction could be as high as three points as Aber won the game that Hoy featured in 4-0.

The club were surprised to receive the charge however, as when the League posted their list of suspended players on January 3rd, Hoy did not feature. An insider at the club told Aber Student Media that, whilst the club were surprised to receive the charge, they were not hopeful of escaping a points deduction. Precedent has been set on this front as Connah’s Quay did appeal their points deduction on the grounds that the error was on the part of the Welsh Premier League. They withdrew their appeal, citing the ‘good of Welsh football’ as their driving reason, and so the Green and Blacks are not optimistic should it come to an appeals process.

Hoy was not present on Saturday when Aber were held to a 3-3 draw by Bangor City. A spirited away support from Bangor made for an excellent atmosphere in the rain as the two teams battled to a stalemate. It was Aber who opened the scoring when, after an early spell of dominance, an Antonio Corbisiero cross was headed back across goal by Mark Jones and it was Geoff Kellaway who applied the finish with a deflected shot from 12 yards.

Just two minutes later Chris Venables sent the home support into raptures when he caught the opposition defence in possession and poked the ball past Idzi in the Bangor goal. But the jubilation did not last long as Bangor ended a whirlwind period of the game with a goal direct from a corner. Aber keeper Mike Lewis was at fault for the goal despite keeping Aber in the game with two excellent saves from Les Davies.

Agonisingly, Bangor equalised just before half time when Davies drilled the ball low past Lewis into the centre of the net, but the Seasiders were back in front just after the break when Chris Venables struck his second of the game. The second half became less eventful as both teams began to tire, with an impassioned showing from both sets of fans driving their teams on. Bangor had the last say in the game with a 70th minute equaliser. A long free kick was flicked on by Sion Edwards and looped over Lewis into the net to break the hearts of the Aberystwyth support.

This draw leaves Town in sixth place, one point above Rhyl who lie in seventh. This means that everything will rest on the final game before the split when Aber travel to Carmarthen on the 25th. A win will almost certainly seal a top six finish but a points deduction could complicate matters. Connah’s Quay lost out on a top six place thanks to their deduction, so hopefully Aber will not suffer the same fate.