Aber Town show good form to consolidate sixth place

Aberystwyth_Town_FCABERYSTWYTH Town endured a poor run of form throughout December but have undergone a rival in early January to keep their hopes of making the top six alive. Two wins out of two in January following a run of three straight defeats means that the fate of the team lies in their own hands.

Following the 2-1 loss to Afan Lido at the end of November, Aber Town were facing a difficult away fixture against TNS, who sit top of the Welsh Premier League table. On a rainy night the team were comprehensively beaten, despite the efforts of goalkeeper Mike Lewis, the game ended, with the score 4-0 to the current Champions. Things did not improve the following weekend when Port Talbot arrived at Park Avenue, looking to gain ground on the Green and Blacks who sat just above them in the table. A goal from Craig Williams early in the second half had looked to give Aber a vital win but two late goals from the South Wales team meant that they left Aberystwyth with 3 points. Park Avenue has been a fortress over the last year and that loss signalled Town’s first at home in over 10 months.

Defender Sion James told ASM that it had been an ‘up and down December’ for the team but that they were still very confident that, following three straight defeats in the league, they could turn their form around quickly and make the top six.

He was proved right over the Christmas period as the Seasiders put the past behind them and grabbed two great wins. First up, with the scent of turkey still in the air, Carmarthen arrived at Park Avenue for an important mid table clash. Things began well for Town under the floodlights, with Chris Venables poking home from a free kick in the 38th minute making the score 1-0 at half time. Soon after the break Aber were further ahead, Mark Jones applying the finish to double the Seasiders lead. Former Town striker, Jordan Follows pulled one back for Carmarthen before Mark Jones added his second to double Aber’s lead. A late penalty wasn’t enough for Carmarthen and the game ended 3-2 to Aberystwyth.

The new year began on the 4th of the month for the Green and Blacks as a trip to Connor’s Quay beckoned. Expectations were high for Aberystwyth, with Connors Quay sitting in the relegation zone of the Welsh Premier League, but the Seasiders more than matched them with a dominant 4-0 win. Although the score remained 0-0 at half time, Aber were rampant in the second half. Striker Geoff Kellaway got the ball rolling with a solo effort in the 63rd minute before Chris Venables doubled the team’s lead. Venables then turned provider as he played a one-two with Mark Jones, who rifled the ball into the net and the man-of-the-match Venables popped up again to add his second and Aber Town’s 4th in stoppage time.

Keeper Mike Lewis called the recent run of form the highlight of a difficult two months and said that the team displayed great ‘bouncebackability’ to win the last two after losing three in a row. He also said that the team ‘has hit good form at just the right time and are full of confidence before the split.’ Aberystwyth Town have two games remaining before the league splits into two halves, with the top six teams only playing eachother and likewise for the bottom six teams.

Aber were also successful in the 3rd round of the Welsh Cup in December, defeating Llanfair Utd 4-2. They will play Afan Lido in the last 16 on the 1st of February.