University slammed over series of sign errors

A translation for 'International English Centre' is missing on the Llandinam sign

A translation for ‘International English Centre’ is missing on the Llandinam sign

NEW SIGNAGE around Aberystwyth University is facing criticism after it emerged that several of the signs contain mistakes in the Welsh translation.

The University have admitted that 6 of the 125 signs, which were erected on Wednesday (24th), have spelling errors, another is incorrectly translated and some phrases are missing a translation altogether.

On Thursday, a member of staff said that he saw someone “fiddling” with the letters ‘w’ and ‘y’ on a sign outside the Edward Llwyd building, which was originally spelt ‘Llywd’.

According to a University spokesperson, a number of the misspelt signs have already been corrected, and signs with mistakes have been removed in the interim.

They are also making steps to add the Welsh for ‘Postcode’, which is missing on a number of signs.

Students have voiced their concern  over the treatment of the Welsh language on the signs, with one describing the “lack of respect for the Welsh language” as “outrageous”

It is understood that the signs have been installed as part of a wider re-branding connected with the restructuring of the University from Faculties into Institutes, which will come into effect on 1st August.

Aber Student Media have submitted a request (under the Freedom of Information Act) as to the full cost of the signage and associated costs.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.