Unique milkshake shop opens in Aberystwyth

The shop is located opposite Inkwells on Terrace Road

A MILKSHAKE shop has opened in Aberystwyth.

Owned by 22-year-old International Politics graduate Darren Corkindale, the shop, called Shakes On It, will be selling customisable milkshakes and ice creams.

It is located between Barclays Bank and Cafe Society Clothing on Terrace Road and will showcase Aberystwyth students’ artwork.

The last milkshake bar in Aberystwyth, part of the National Milk Bars (NMB) chain, was open for over 70 years before it was shut in 2010.

The NMBs, founded by Willie Griffiths and his wife Florence, opened their first branch in Colwyn Bay in 1933, followed by Llandudno later that same year. Within a decade there were 17 NMBs across Wales and England.

Corkindale revealed to Aber Student Media that the idea to open the shop originated from when he was a student and noticed “there wasn’t too many trendy places for teenagers or young adults in Aber.”

Milkshakes served in the shop will be “unique to everyone”

“Customers will be asked to “pick an ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or mint), add their favourite flavour (be that a chocolate bar, sweets, cakes or biscuits), then add a topping.”

Initial concern arose from students on their Facebook page about catering to certain diets, including dairy- and gluten-free options, but the owner quickly replied that, as well as the “150 different varieties and loads of combinations”, they will be offering options for people with special dietary requirements.

Signs first appeared in the long-empty shop on Monday 17th June, and opened yesterday (6th July).