EXCLUSIVE: Tinchy Stryder to headline May Ball 2013

strider

GRIME legend Tinchy Stryder is to headline this year’s May Ball, Aber Student Media can exclusively reveal.

Stryder will join chart-toppers Sam and the Womp, the Futureheads and Gentlemen’s Dub Club at the event, which will take over the Arts Centre, Union and campus on May 9th.

Known to his family as Kwasi Danquah the third, Tinchy Stryder is one of the UKs hottest Grime, RnB and Hip Hop stars – with songs such as ‘Number 1’, ‘Never Leave You’, ‘Second Chance’, and ‘Let It Rain’. He has recorded and released a total of three studio albums, one compilation, five EPs and 17 singles.

samSam and the Womp are a three piece music group from the United Kingdom who formed in 2009. Their music mixes traditional elements of Balkan music with modern electronic and dance elements. Their music was largely popularised by BBC Radio 1 with a heavy promotion of their debut single ‘Bom Bom’. This was released as a digital download on 19th August 2012 and went to the number one spot in the UK Singles Chart. As of 2012, they are signed to Stiff Records.

futureheadsThe Futureheads are an Indie band from Sunderland, who’ve put out five albums with their last one being released in 2012. With their last album they diverted from their indie roots to produce an A Capella album, named Rant which N.M.E rated 8/10. However they are best known for their previous albums, featuring songs like ‘Beginning of the Twist’ and a cover of the Kate Bush song ‘Hounds of Love’, which reached number eight in the UK singles charts in 2005.

gentlemansGentleman’s Dub Club, formed in 2006 are a Reggae/ska/dub band. Their first studio album, Open Your Eyes was released in March 2012. They’ve previously been a support act for The Streets, and have played at Glastonbury and V Festival before, and have drawn comparisons with The Specials.

mistajamMistajam is currently one of the most acclaimed DJs in the UK, and is seen by many as the future of Radio 1, on the same level as international DJs Annie Mac and Zane Lowe. Currently, he holds down the 7-10 weekday evening slot on 1xtra, as well as the prestigious 11pm to 1am slot every Saturday night on Radio 1. According to his website, this DJ doesn’t tie himself down to a specific genre of music. He says, if he has a big beat, bassline and melody, then chances are hes in to it. This DJ has been instrumental in championing the Dubstep and Bass music scene on national radio and helping propel the underground genres into the mainstream consciousness.

Joining MistaJam will be Matrix & Futurebound, Varski & R3wire along with all your favourite Black House residents.

And in the Cwtch, Aber Student Media will be hosting the best of student bands, including Gypsy Wine Cartel, Benign Sun, Space Cadet, Swnami and Y Bandana.

May Ball also includes a free fun fair, headphone disco, inflatable games area, cocktail bars, giant chocolate fountain and much more.

Tickets are available online now, and are priced at £45 for access to the main stage in the Great Hall of the Arts Centre, or £35 for all the rest of the attractions.