Nominations for Union elections open

THE ANNUAL Students’ Union Spring Election process has begun.

Nominations opened this morning (8th February), and candidates who are interested in running for Union Executive positions (both the full-time and part-time officers) are able to put their names forward. Nomination forms are available from the Students’ Union Reception, or students can fill out an online form on abersu.co.uk. 

The positions of Liberation and Section officers will be elected in the autumn election cycle of the next academic year.

Students who wish to enter are to put forward a manifesto detailing the plans and policies they intend to implement, should they be elected. Nominations will remain open for 10 days, closing at 12:00 PM on the 18th February. An initial candidates’ briefing will take place on the same afternoon.

Verbal canvassing, when candidates can begin to spread word of their campaigns, will also be permitted from this date; however, public canvassing; including posters and videos, will only be allowed from 1st March, the week of the election itself.

In the lead-up to voting, students will be able to find out more about the candidates. Hustings (questions to candidates) will be held on the 4th March, and a debate for presidential nominees will take place on the 5th.

The voting period will run over the 6th and 7th March, and any student registered at the University (and therefore automatically a member of the Union) is eligible to vote. Results will be announced on the evening of the 7th, covered by Aberystwyth Student Media online and in print on the 8th.

Aberystwyth Student Media have introduced a new Regulation to cover conduct during Union elections. Any member of the society who is involved in campaigning, either as a candidate or a member of a campaign team, will have no association with any content produced in conjunction with the elections, and committee members are not able to exercise editorial functions in relation to elections content. A separate Elections Editor is responsible for all elections content.

If you are interested in getting involved with Aber Student Media’s coverage of the Spring Elections or have any queries, get in touch with Rhian Evans, the Elections Editor, at [email protected]