Rugby Union captain banned after urination incident

The Academy bar, where the incident occurred

ABERYSTWYTH University Rugby Union first team captain Greg Lewis has been banned from the British University and College Sport (BUCS) league for the rest of the season and has been stripped of his captaincy following an incident in Aberystwyth bar The Academy.

Lewis, social secretary Toby Hiscox and second team captain Mike Eastwell were brought before a disciplinary panel at the Students’ Union on December 7th following a complaint received on October 30th from staff at The Academy.

The panel heard that the three had urinated into pint glasses whilst they were being collected by staff. The incident, which was captured on CCTV, was thought to be in response to a student being ejected from the bar, who attempted to re-enter, only to be ejected again.

Hiscox and Eastwell, who had previously sent written apologies to the Students’ Union and apologised to bar staff at The Academy, were both banned for three games as a result of the incident.

The panel consisted of Students’ Union President Ben Meakin, Education Officer Jess Leigh and Sports Administrator Gavin Allen. Activities Officer Ioan Rhys Evans did not sit on the panel, citing his former membership of the University Rugby Union side as a conflict of interest.

It was ruled that Lewis broke the Athletic Union Code of Conduct, which states that members of sports teams must not:

(5.x) conduct themselves in any manner, or engage in any activity, whether before, during or after an event or competition (including during training and other activities), that would impair public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of events and competitions or in the integrity and good character of the Club, the AU, the University, or university sport in general;

(5.xi) do anything which adversely affects or reflects on or discredits the Club, the AU, or the University;

(5.xiii) act in an unlawful manner.

The panel heard that Lewis did not apologise to any of those who complained. The decision was made to ban him from playing in any BUCS league match for the rest of the academic year, in addition to stripping him of his position as first team captain.

A member of the panel described Lewis as “reactionless” following the decision. He now has a seven day period to appeal the ruling, with any appeal needing to be posted by Friday 14th December. If he chooses to appeal, the decision will go to the Board of Trustees, who will take both his statement and the statement of the Athletic Union into account before making their decision.

Lewis, Hiscox and Eastwell all refused to comment when contacted by Aberystwyth Student Media.