New Societies Officer elected

Michaela Kyrionymou cropMICHAELA Kyrionymou has been elected as the Societies Officer for the rest of the academic year.

Kyrionymou, a third year International Politics student, stood uncontested in a by-election for the position, following the resignation of previous officer Dakota Dibben.

Kyrionymou’s manifesto focused on reforming the BOS card system and ensuring that societies get the same amount of representation from the Union as sports club receive.

Kyrionymou (also Secretary of Aberystwyth Student Media) says she was “overjoyed” to have been elected. “I’m already really enjoying the job, despite feeling like I’ve jumped in at the deep end. It was great to be able to talk to committee members at the recent societies forum and hear what people think needs changing.

“The big issue which many people brought up was criticism of the BOS card system. I’m determined that the BOS card is ineffective in its current state and will be working to implement a new structure for societies, which will include completely scrapping the ‘BOS’ brand.

“My main goal this year is to ensure societies feel like they are getting a fair deal with their relationship with the Union.”

No nominations were received for the position of Training and Development Officer on the Societies Executive, which remains vacant.