A view from the Terrace: Editorial

FIRSTLY, I’ll have to apologise for the much truncated sports section for this edition, as I’m sure you’re all aware, essay season has well and truly set in. The first two months have been one massive learning curve, and despite the clanger of a typing error in the last edition, it’s all been good fun – yes, even the six hour journey to Prestatyn to cover Aberystwyth Town playing there in October.

One fixture I attended recently which I won’t get the chance to mention anywhere else was Barry Town against Penrhyncoch in the Welsh Cup. Barry Town are the former giants of Welsh Football with eight league titles since the formation of the Welsh Premier League and five Welsh cup wins to their name. It’s been well documented elsewhere the problems that they are in; needless to say, they are shadows of their former selves. So, it was Cae Baker, a stone’s throw from Aberystwyth, that provided the backdrop for the cup clash, with Barry coming out on top, 2-1. This was a fixture and ground completely alien to modern football. Instead of a refreshments stand, you can go into the clubhouse kitchen and have a cup of tea out of a ceramic mug, rather than the usual polystyrene cup. Not that this is a bad thing, however; one thing that is quite noticeable about the Welsh Premier league is the way in which the barriers between fans and players are broken down. The players here are not prima donnas on £50,000 a week. They’re a council worker in the week and have played for their local side for 10 seasons. It’s refreshing – football as it should be.

Christmas is always a great time for sports fans. Football on Boxing Day is now a permanent fixture in my annual calendar. Whether it be a glorious 3-2 victory over Leyton Orient or a 2-1 thumping to Rushden and Diamonds, it’s always a game to look forward to and one that every fan looks at first when the fixtures come out. The remnants of Christmas cheer in the air mixed with the prospect of a clash with local rivals always makes for a great atmosphere and a buzz amongst fans. FA Cup Third Round ties always follow, ‘the magic of the FA cup’ always cited in large amounts over the first weekend of January. Memories that last for a lifetime are created, for players and fans alike. I recall watching Kidderminster take on Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Third Round in 2004, and as I was only 11 at the time, I only knew we had scored because of the net rippling and the manic cheering from the crowd. Magic.

The Aber Student Media Sports Show is now running 9-11 on Thursday Mornings for the rest of this semester. Get involved and tune in, we’re hoping to have Aberystwyth Town legend Glyndwr Hughes on soon, which will be a fantastic listen.