Aber Town hammered by T.N.S

Matty Collins lines free-kick up before scoring against TNS

Matty Collins lines up a free-kick before scoring against TNS

ABERYSTWYTH Town’s recent revival in form was halted at home to full-time The New Saints as the Oswestry based side romped to a 4-1 victory over ‘the Seasiders’.

Bari Morgan missed the game after picking up a knock against Prestatyn and was replaced by Declan Carroll. Wyn Thomas also started the game after missing out in the aforementioned 2-2 draw.

The first half was largely uneventful, Aberystwyth rarely threatened the T.N.S goal and vice versa. Steve Evans, brother of former Aber player Ricky, was solid in defence making a crucial tackle to deny Josh MacAuley and the same could be said of Adam Worton at left back for Aber Town, who stopped consistent attacks from Ryan Fraughan. The home side’s problems in attack were made worse by the early forced substitution of Glyndwr Hughes who was forced off with an injury in the opening minutes of the game.

The second half however, was far more action packed than the first featuring five goals, unfortunately only one of those in the home sides favour with the home side struggling to get shots on target. James Wood made a decent save from a shot straight at the Aber goalkeeper, but then the floodgates opened. Sam Finley cut in from the left wing and slotted home a shot past Wood to give T.N.S the lead.

Chris Seargeant was to double the away sides lead. A free-kick was won on the left side of the area, with Seargeant hammering the ball over the wall, the ball dipping suddenly and flying into the bottom left of the goal. Despite being two goals down, the Aberystwyth fans continued their support and were little rewarded when Matty Collins, taking a free kick, bagged the T.N.S team yet another goal. Cadwallader challenged Evans for the ball 25 yards from goal. Collins took the free kick and curled the ball into the top right corner, clipping off the post and beating Paul Harrison with ease.

The hope that Aber would get back into the game was then well and truly ruled out, first Michael Wilde showed a sign of intent, hitting the bar with a drive from distance before he got his goal of the afternoon. A ball down the middle of the pitch split the defence in half, with Wilde causing Wood to fall over twice, once when presented with the attackers run and again when the ball was slotted home for the third goal to seal the game.

A fourth was then added to the tally to pile the misery onto Aberystwyth. Alex Darlington, in the same fashion as Wilde’s goal, ran at the goal and attempted to take the ball around Wood, slotting the ball under the diving body of the Aber goalkeeper, who managed to get a loose hand to the ball but was unable to keep it out. With the amount of goals Wood has now conceded, confidence was to become an issue for the goalkeeper.

Against the full-time side, Aberystwyth were always the outsiders for the victory, but the fashion in which they lost was perhaps surprising, and although the injury of Hughes early in the game did not help, their impotency in attack was appalling and improvement is much needed for the visit of Carmarthen on the 28th October at Park Avenue.