Student killed walking along road

Sean Morley at this year’s May Ball

A THIRD-YEAR History and Politics student at Aberystwyth University was found dead on a road near his home town of Bedworth in Warwickshire on Sunday 2nd September.

Sean Morley, who played rugby for the University, was believed to have been hit by a car during the night of Sunday 2nd September. His body was found on the northbound side of the A444 outside Nuneaton by a passing motorist at 6:35am.

A tribute page dedicated to Morley on Facebook has seen over a thousand people join to share memories and photos to the 20-year old. Morley was described as “an outstanding young lad” by Ioan Rhys Evans, Activities Officer at the Students’ Union.

Rhys Evans said “Sean was an outstanding young lad, be it from his great wit & charm on club socials or his love for rugby which saw him debut for the University 1st XV back in January against UWIC. He had so much time for everyone he knew and I know I can say this with the confidence of the friends that he made at University and myself included, that Sean has left a great impact upon all of us, one of which will never be forgotten.”

Morley had played regularly for Nuneaton RFC, where had been team captain, and was voted players’ player for three years. He also worked at Garland Leisure, a multi-activity venue that offers outdoor recreation, go-karting and archery.

In a statement, Professor Mike Foley, head of the International Politics department and Dr Martyn Powell, head of the History department, described Morley as a “bright, enthusiastic and well-liked” member of the two departments. “He had an exceptionally bright future to look forward to and will be missed by both the staff at Aberystwyth and his fellow students. We extend our warmest sympathies to his family at this difficult time”.

A 21-year old man was arrested by police on suspicion of motoring offences, and has subsequently been released on police bail, though a police spokesperson declined to elaborate on the offences for which he was arrested. Warwickshire Coroner’s office said that the full inquest into his death would not be held for three to four months, as they await the results of toxicology reports.