Port Talbot Town 0-4 Aberystwyth Town

In a result that belied their position in the table, Aberystwyth Town took to the road to travel down to South Wales and came back with a thumping 4-0 win over Port Talbot Town at the Genquip Stadium. Aber welcomed back several key players to the starting eleven as a result of their suspensions for red cards running out, Steve Cann took his place between the sticks and Ricky Evans also took his place upfront.

From the start, ‘The Seasiders’ of Aber were on top, showing a performance and work rate which paid off by the end of the night. Port Talbot did have a couple of notable chances early on in the game, and Nick Holland should have perhaps tested Cann instead of firing over the bar inside the first twenty minutes. However, after that, Aber had taken the lead. Ricky Evans played a ball over to the left to Kellaway whose control took him past two defenders and he slotted the ball past the Port Talbot goalkeeper Bartek Fogler.

Minutes later Aberystwyth, and Kellaway had doubled their total for the night, Jordan Follows on the left wing knocked the ball on to Kellaway who cut inside from the left and his shot went past Fogler sending the noisy Aber support into raptures.

It wasn’t over in terms of goal action for the half though as Follows tried to run through on goal but, he was taken down by Gareth Phillips and the referee duly pointed to the spot to no protests from the Port Talbot players. After some disagreements about who should take it, (which must have made it no easier for the man who eventually stepped up)  it was Ricky Evans who stepped up and shot into the bottom right hand corner to put Aber 3-0 up before half time. And they still had 11 men on the pitch, such things would’ve be deemed unimaginable before kick off!

The second half saw more chances for Port Talbot who were lacklustre in the first half, however it wasn’t to be their night as their shooting was at times poor. On the odd occasion they did manager a shot on target, goalkeeper Steve Cann produced some excellent saves. Kellaway could have had his hat-trick as he looked lethal on the left, and rounded goalkeeper Fogler before the ball getting caught up in the wet turf and Kellaway leaving it behind.

Codling also had a chance as did Kris Nalborski when he came on as his trickery in the box allowed him space to hit a shot which was unfortunately blocked for the Aber student. There was to be a fourth for Aber though to cap off an amazing night for the travelling supporters, Jordan Follows’ creativity was causing problems again for the Port Talbot defence as he played in skipper Sean Thornton who was left with an easy finish to make it 4-0. A massive win for Aber which sees them rise to 9th, joint on points with their next opponent, at home next Friday – Airbus Broughton UK.